It shouldn’t come as a surprise to you that healthy employees are more productive workers. They don’t spend as much time at doctors’ offices, they have more stamina to accomplish work tasks, they’re generally more confident and they often have less stress than ill folks. As a bonus to the business, healthy employees can even bring down the cost of healthcare.
The health of your employees is especially important today because of the rising plague of obesity in America. But there are ways you can promote health and wellness in the office, and you should make efforts since your employees spend such a large portion of their time at work. Try some of the following:
- Offer healthier snacks in the vending machines. Trade greasy chips for rice crisps, candy bars for protein bars and sugary sodas for tea and water. Employees will choose healthier snacks if they’re made more available.
- Encourage employees to take a 10-minute walk in the morning and in the afternoon to release the tension from sitting all day.
- Another exercise option is starting a lunchtime exercise program, such as a group walk or run. This doubles as a team-building activity, in which employees can support each other’s progress. Partner with local gyms to strike up win-win deals. If the gym offers your employees a discount, they’ll gain new members.
- Host seminars taught by health and wellness experts, such as dieticians and fitness trainers. The more your employees know about health, the more healthy food and activities they can incorporate into their lives.
- Lead by example. No one will want to take your advice on living healthier if you don’t live by it. In fact, if employees notice the positive changes you make, it may inspire them to do the same.
- Plan a game afternoon every quarter or so. The physical activity of playing games provides exercise, while the team-building aspects boost employee morale.
Employees enjoy working for a business that cares about their wellness and supports their personal goals. When you show compassion, employees are likely to become more loyal and, in turn, more productive, effective workers.
Start taking better care of your employees today. Call Sweet & Baker Insurance Brokers at (415) 512-2100 for more information on San Francisco employee benefits.